Monday, November 3, 2008

English Lessons For The Girls

Kelly and I have been spending more and more time teaching the girls English. This is a challenging task. We have so many rules, and then, we have so many contradictions. We have started small with questions like, “What is your name,” “How are you,” and my personal favorite, “Don’t bother me.” The girls are learning slowly. It works out nicely for me because they are spending more time teaching me Spanish during this whole process. The girls are starting to use more English in their everyday tasks.
It has been simple, but still an improvement from when we first arrived. They say, “Excuse me,” “How are you,” and “What time is it?”. It may sound simple, and not very exciting, but for us this is a beautiful beginning. The girls have full time English tutors, but have not taken advantage of it. It is exciting to see them branch out and not be afraid to try our challenging pronunciations and uniquely ruled vocabulary. The girls are showing growth, what more could you ask for?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! How interesting. You're great teachers I'm sure! What about the phrase, "It's All Good?" and God is Good All the Time? Well, sounds good what's being learned and shared.