Thursday, October 8, 2009

Potty Training

With two little boys running around, potty training has been an epic goal (the girl already knows the stuff). It is proving to be much harder than I, personally, remember it to be. Both boys are learning –it is taking lots of time and patience –but we had a major breakthrough the other day.

While I was serving dinner in the kitchen, I heard a mumbled, “Pichi (pee)!” I passed it off as random-dinner-talk, but then I heard it again. One of the girls came running in letting me know that Marcos, our youngest, needed to use the bathroom. I came out, asked him if he needed to use the bathroom, and he exclaimed, ‘Si!” and then continued stuffing his face with rice –he was hungry. I shot into panicked-parent mode, lifted him out of his highchair, and then frantically calculated which bathroom would be the closest. With him floating high in the air (in my arms), we made a mad dash for the bathroom in the kitchen all the while with him saying, “pichi, pichi.”

We made it to the bathroom, I got him all ready, and then realized (almost too late), he was about 6 inches too short to make it into the pot. I quickly lifted him up (he was now letting it flow freely), aimed him at the pot (sadly the toilet seat was down providing an even smaller target), and away he went. Before he was even done with the process, he was already telling me to flush it down. Once finished, we high fived, and waved goodbye to the pee as it left the toilet. Phew. Close call.

-I feel as though only the parents will realize the excitement we felt…

1 comment:

mom said...

Awesome! You're getting Good Practice Honey. It's all in patience and adventure in making it FUN and Exciting! You're doing well it sounds - keep it up! Remember there are good days and set backs depending on activities and interests around. Yet...All will fall into place and Marcus sounds like he'll be leading the others to Maturity in this area!!:)